Top Posts & Pages
- Goldratt's The Goal: Chapter by Chapter Review
- Seven Red Lines (aka "The Expert"): The Transcript
- How to Win Friends and Influence People: Carnegie's 3 "In a Nutshell Fundamental Techniques in Handling People"
- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan: Page by Page, Chapter by Chapter Review: Chapter 1, Between Timid and Timbuktu
- How to Win Friends and Influence People: Part 1, Ch 1 - PRINCIPLE 1 - "Don’t criticize, condemn or complain."
Tag Archives: Kurt Vonnegut
Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan: Page by Page, Chapter by Chapter Review: Chapter 8 – A Hollywood Night Club
The poor design of the Martian space ship auto-pilot traps Unk and Boaz deep in a cave on Mercury, where they cannot escape. The creatures of Mercury, known as Harmonium, spell out the words “It’s an intelligence test!” with their shimmering bodies. Continue reading
The Martian Army’s invasion is inept, and they are defeated by the overwhelming violence and arsenal of the Earthlings. The reader learns more of the origins of the war, how Winston Niles Rumfoord financed it with his butler, Moncrief, and how the Tralfamadorean Salo gave him the designs for spaceships and half of his Universal Will to Become to power them. Rumfoord uses Earthling guilt at the force of their victory to create a new religion, The Church of God the Utterly Indifferent. Unk destroys Boaz’s mind control device after they are stranded on Mars, and Bee and Chrono are stranded in the Amazon – some of the few survivors of the botched invasion. Continue reading